I have spent alot of time searching for Vintage Pant Hangers [and looking at a blank hallway wall] that I could use to hang up 6 prints that I purchased from Obvious State on Etsy. Finding one hanger here and there and paying $10-15 a piece didn't interest me. I found 6 hangers at my local consignment store for $4.95 and I already had my favorite DIY product Briwax, I decided to just make my own 'Vintage' Hangers. It ended up being a very easy project + gratification was almost instant!!
- Wood pant hangers
- Sander + Sandpaper [I love my Black + Decker Mouse < $40 + gets in all the little nooks & crannies!]
- Briwax [I used the Tutor Brown}
- Assortment of tools for 'aging+ damaging' i.e. hammer, awl, screwdriver + pliers
- Fine grade steel wool
- Double sided 'sticky' tape
- Remove the padding from the underside of each hanger. Clean with soap and water and let air dry
- Sand the outside and underside of each hanger. Don't be afraid to be aggressive on the edges, you want to get a 'worn' look!
- Using any fine grade steel wool, rub over sanded areas to smooth the surfaces to be waxed.
- Carefully avoid the metal hanger, and damage the wooden areas of the hanger by pounding, hitting, crunching and scratching with your tool assortment
- Using your rags, follow the directions on the Briwax container in a well ventilated area and apply to the wood on your hanger. [A little bit goes a long way...] Let dry for 30 - 45 minutes and polish waxed areas with an additional clean rag.
- Place a strip of double sided sticky tape on the BACK side of your picture, position and close your hanger + hang!